Top down kill'em all game with RPG elements and stylized cartoon visuals. Player is controlling a group of 4 different characters, each with own strenghts, weaknesses and abilities. During the game, player can build different groups to adjust gameplay and so try different play styles.
Currently, there is only single level available with few enemies and 4 Heroes, while it's planned to have at least 11 unique characters and several levels of different visual styles. Screen-share multiplayer is planned: both co-op and pvp modes.
Now it's official: Knightmare Lands will do showcase on DevGAMM in Minsk, 21st of November.
You're welcome at the booth B8, there will be the new game build to play and a chance to win a unique prize in a contest!
Now, a quick update about the last month of development:
- Level design updates
- Gameplay balance improvements (though it's still hardcore!)
- New enemies!
- More perks!
- A lot of boring internal changes, fixes and refactorings!
- Minor UI updates (still placeholders, no pretty-drawn interfaces yet)
- Scores multipliers for kill streaks
- LEADERBOARD! (And yes, it's exactly about the contest mentioned above)
There is a new gameplay trailer video in work, stay tuned!
See you at DevGAMM!
The nearest DevGAMM conference will take place in November (21-22nd). It seems there is a lot of time ahead... but in fact, the deadlines to submit the game are much closer.
Last weeks I've been pushing the Knightmare Lands forward to implement different features for the showcase and today I want to tell you about the most important things.
On the last week, I've completely redesign the whole progression system in the game: instead of leveling up the heroes' skills, player will spend the earned points to take perks. And there are a lot of different perks planned!
The whole system is much more straightforward and allows for more customizations and different play styles - player will be able to choose from dozens of perks, starting with simple "Add more scores" and not ending with perks which can add new abilities or change the basic attack for a selected Hero.
There are three main types of the perks:
- Instant: just do something cool once to affect the gameplay (add scores, revive a dead Hero and so on)
- Group perks: affect the whole group (Increase movement speed, allow to choose from more perks next time)
- Hero perks: applied to a specific Hero, the most interesting part. These perks can be common for all heroes (increase max health, improve damage, instant heal) or individual for each of the heroes classes (learn Fire Ray for Sorceress, make all arrows to penetrate enemies for Hunter and so on)
The second important part of the game's updates is exactly about group composition. From now on, player can replace Heroes right in the game, combining different classes and adjusting the play style considering different enemies and obstacles. It's heavily based on random - all the heroes replacements can only be dropped from the killed enemies, and player will decide if they need to take the replacement or drop it this time.
There are a lot of minor changes, fixes and improvements, anyone interested in details can look into the Discord channel for all the commits history.
Of course, I've started to work on the new levels: I've decided the game should have non-linear elements to add some exploration and maybe backtracking.
Improved the player's movement system to use the proper navigation system
Finally added the fifth Hero - Monk!
I'm not even talking about the whole bunch of bugfixes...
Anyway, there are still the far road ahead and hope to see you on my next updates and at the DevGAMM!
Knightmare Lands is on Steam
In addition to the new levels theme, there was a bunch of new VFXs added to the game! A lot more is coming, stay tuned and wishlist the game on Steam!
Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/798300/Knightmare_Lands/
Если вам интересен проект и вы хотели бы поработать над Knightmare Lands, пожалуйста, свяжитесь со мной! Через телеграм: t.me/norlin_ru, почту: email@example.com, или прямо здесь в комментах.
В первую очередь разыскиваются гейм-дизайнеры, тех.арты и левел-дизайнеры!
Brief update about the recent progress:
- Major ECS system update: a LOT of refactorting and code changes, getting rid of some technical debt and fixing bunch of annoying bugs - all to prepare path for adding new content!
- Implement completely new attributes system for the characters, to allow proper buffs/debuffs stacking, future pickup bonuses and different effects directly affecting the gameplay.
- Finally I've started to work on the new environment themes: a hot volcano theme, spooky graveyard and searing desert are coming soon!
- Last but not least: game progress saving. With dozens of levels planned, it will definitely be convenient!
No pics this time, stay tuned!
All the visual style and concept arts for the Knightmare Lands are made by awesome artist Jake Morrison.
And just recently he have launched his own Kickstarter campaign for the 280-pages (!) book with unique comic story "Dani and Ramen: A Nomad's Tale VOL.1"
Please support his campaign and get a copy (either digital or physical) of a book with 280 pages of great art and story!
Good news, everyone!
Some time ago (after applying to this contest) I've managed to complete the game's page in Steam and now it's public, so please come in and add the game to your wishlist!